Internship at Microsoft Research, Bangalore, India
The Machine Learning and Optimization (MLO) group at Microsoft Research India is looking for interns to work on cutting edge research problems leading to publications in top tier conferences and journals as well as potential tech transfer to Microsoft products. The MLO group has a strong international reputation and attracts applications from leading graduate schools in the US, UK and the EU. Interns can choose from a wide range of basic or applied research projects in the following areas:
1) Scalable optimization algorithms for large scale learning -- including kernel learning, learning with millions of categories, etc.
2) Learning algorithms for structured spaces -- including compressed sensing, multi-label learning, etc.
3) Online learning and learning theory.
4) Applications in probabilistic programming, computer vision, computational advertising and web search.
Interns will have access to a unique mix of research problems, data and computing infrastructure typically not found in academia or other industries. Previous interns have leveraged these resources to publish high impact papers as well as file patents.
The MLO group has nine core researchers who regularly publish in top conferences and journals, serve as program committee members and area chairs and organize conferences and workshops. Microsoft Research India is co-located with Bing Ads India in the heart of Bangalore and provides interns with air fare to Bangalore, accommodation in the city center, transportation within the city and amazing food for the duration of the internship as well as a stipend. The lab is particularly well known for its intern parties, social outings and facilities. Internship opportunities are available throughout the year and we are flexible in terms of type of project and start and end date (though most students prefer to intern during the summer for 3 months). Interested PhD students should e-mail their CV to mlointrn(at)microsoft.com and include the following points in the body of the mail:
* Your current position:
* Interested in working with: (note that MLO researchers will search using this field so make sure to mention the names of the specific researchers that you are interested in working with)
* Interested in working on: (if you have a strong preference for a particular project)
* Start date (must be a Monday):
* End date (must be a Friday):
* Any other relevant information:
Please note that we get many applications so it will maximize your chances if you send an e-mail in the given format. More details about the MLO group can be found at
and prospective interns are encouraged to write to individual researchers who they might be interested in working with.