Postdoc position at CWI Amsterdam, machine learning theory
Applications are invited for a two year postdoc position in one of the following areas:
- Theory of Bayesian inference under misspecification
- On-Line Sequential Prediction
- Pseudo-Bayesian methods, in particular PAC-Bayesian confidence bounds
- notions of 'easy learning problems' and their interconnections (Tsybakov-Mammen margin condition, mixability, exp-concavity etc.)
- information-theoretic vs. statistical notions of risk
- foundational issues in Bayesian inference such as the Robins-Riitov paradox and connections between p-values and Bayes factors
- related topics from learning theory or theoretical statistics
About the research group and location:
The postdoctoral fellow will be based at CWI, the Netherlands Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science, located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The research will take place in the information-theoretic learning group headed by Prof. Peter Grunwald (program chair UAI 2010, COLT 2015) within the context of the VICI project 'safe statistics' funded by NWO, the Dutch Science Foundation. CWI is located within biking distance from the beautiful Amsterdam city center and major train stations. It lies across the street from the University of Amsterdam, a major centre of machine learning research. Major European cities such as Paris (3h15 minutes by train) and London (50 minutes by plane) are all very easily accessible from Amsterdam.
About the position:
Candidates must have a strong background in statistical learning theory. Further, knowledge of Bayesian inference, information theory and/or on-line prediction is strongly desirable. Although the research done at our group involves a mix of theory and practice, candidates must have a capability to do theoretical research, as demonstrated by previously published mathematical/theoretically-oriented papers.
Applicants should email Peter Grunwald (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the title €œPostdoc Applicationâ and include a cover letter, a CV including publication list, and a list of at least two references with email and phone number.
- Deadline for application: July 10th (later applications are possible but we must receive an intention to apply before or on July 10th).
- Starting Date: September 1st (or within a few months from that)
For further inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com.